Assistance Dog Special Allowance Program

Last Updated on August 21, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

You can also take a look at the pet grants from all the other states.

Who is this for?

Eligible persons, who use a guide, signal, or service dog for their disability-related needs, can receive a $50 monthly payment through the Assistance Dog Special Allowance (ASDA) program. This allowance helps pay for food, grooming, and medical care for the dog.

Application Process

If you’re a California resident, receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI), State Supplementary Payment (SSP), In-Home Support Services (IHSS), or Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI), please fill out one of these applications:

If you are receiving benefits from the Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), please fill out the following forms and attach a Benefit Statement from the Social Security Administration: 

If you are currently getting benefits from the ADSA program and wish to renew your eligibility, please fill out one of these applications: 

Please send your printed and signed application via mail to:

Assistance Dog Special Allowance Program

California Department of Social Services

744 P Street, MS 9-11-91

Sacramento, CA 95814

Are You Already Getting the Allowance?

You can contact them via phone at (916) 657-2628 or send an email at [email protected] if you have any questions or want to report any changes.

Other Resources

Its also worth taking a look at RUFF – Financial Assistance for Veterinary Care and Starfleet Canine Aid Foundation.