Disability Grants in Alabama

Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

Alabama has a lot of sources for state-based grants for disabled people. You can use these funds to pay for various aspects of independence and living. This includes purchasing a new or used wheelchair van. You can often use money to purchase modifications to your vehicle for handicapped accessibility, such as mobility equipment, special pivot seats, and adaptive driving capabilities.

For assistance, residents with disabilities can also contact these state agencies and nonprofits. Others can directly provide financial assistance. While some provide Alabama disability grants directly. Moreover, contact the state branches of charities that are dedicated to helping people with you specific disabilities.

Sources for Alabama Disability Grants and Assistance

Alabama Council for Developmental Disabilities (CDD)

Alabama’s CDD helps people with developmental disabilities and their families to participate fully in their communities. They offer grants that may be used to pay for modifications or a handicapped-friendly vehicle.

Contact Information:

RSA Union Building

100 North Union Street

P.O. Box 301410

Montgomery, AL 36130-1410

(334) 242-3973 or (800) 232-2158

Alabama Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

The VA’s primary objective is to ensure that US military veterans and their families receive all benefits and assistance as allowed according to law in the United States and Alabama. This includes funding for a wheelchair van for veterans with impaired mobility.

Contact Information:

RSA Plaza Building, Suite 470

770 Washington Avenue

Montgomery, AL 36130

(334) 242-5077

This is similar to the DMVA which is one of the Disability Grants in Alaska.

Alabama Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

The SILC’s mission is to promote independence among the disabled and elderly population in Alabama. This council can provide you with sound advice and useful leads to help you apply for in-state disability grants to use for handicap vans or accessibility conversions and accessories.

Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program (ADAP)

Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program is part of a national federally mandated protection and advocacy (P&A) system. ADAP responds to all requests for technical assistance, information and referrals regarding disability rights issues.

Alabama Vocational Rehabilitation Service (VRS)

This division is the largest one that operates under the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services. It helps disabled Alabamians gain independence and provide work opportunities to improve their lives. It also offers disability grants to disabled people who need wheelchair vans to get and keep employment through the county offices.

Contact Information:

602 S. Lawrence St.

Montgomery, AL 36104

(334) 293-7143 or (800) 782-7656

This is similar to the VRS programme which is one of the Disability Grants in Wyoming.