Disability Grants in Alaska

Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

This is the right website for information about Alaska’s disability grants for its residents. These are the organizations and government bodies that can help you get funding for your wheelchair van. No matter whether you are looking to lease, buy, or convert a van with accessories, such as a scooter lift, swiveling/lowering seat, or adaptive driving hand controls.

Furthermore, start with the state government departments and other organizations below that may be able to help acquire a handicapped-accommodating van when looking for financial aid in Alaska. You may also find charitable foundations or other organizations that are dedicated to your disability. Many of these organizations are national, but they also have Alaskan branches. Get in touch with their offices to inquire about financial aid and grants for disabled people.

Sources for Alaska Disability Grants and Assistance

Alaska Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

The local ADRC is a great place to get source recommendations tailored to your circumstances if you require financial assistance to acquire a handicapped-accessible vehicle. There are multiple Centers operating in each state that can easily answer all questions about available assistance and services for seniors and people with disabilities. The link above shows Alaska’s interactive map. Then, click on the county you wish to see contact information for your closest Center.

Alaska Area Agencies on Aging (AAA)

AAA across the United States offers assistance to the elderly and disabled residents. Each state has its own office to serve the local population. The link above will help you locate the branch near you. For information about disability grants that can be used towards your handicap van, contact them.

Contact Information:

150 Third Street

103 P.O. Box 110693

Juneau, AK 99811

(907) 465-4879

Alaska Department of Military and Veterans Affairs (DMVA)

The Alaska DMVA provides vital support for disabled veterans living in the state. It offers resources for financial assistance, services, and other support. Veterans with disabilities that were experienced or worsened during enlistment are eligible for grants.

Contact Information:

(907) 428-6016 or (888) 248-3682

This is the same as the Arizona Department of Veterans Services, which is one of the Disability Grants in Arizona.

Alaska Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

The Department of Labor and Workforce Development manages the DVR in Alaska. It helps people with disabilities to find, land, and maintain a job. You must contact this agency to get help if your inability to be part of the community to search for work is a problem. You may be eligible for a grant to help you purchase a wheelchair van, or accessibility conversions and accessories.

Contact Information:

1111 W 8th St #210

Juneau, AK 99801

(907) 465-2814

This is is similar to the VSR, which is one of the Disability Grants in Alabama.

Assistive Technology of Alaska (ATLA)

ATLA, an Alaska-based agency, works to improve accessibility to assistive technology for Alaska’s disabled population. Contact them for guidance for assistance if you are having difficulty affording assistive technology, including a handicap van.

Contact Information:

3330 Arctic Blvd., Ste.101

Anchorage, AK 99503

(907) 563-2599 or (800) 723-2852

[email protected]

Governor’s Council on Disabilities and Special Education (GCDSE)

GCDSE of Alaska offers disability grants and a variety of assistance services. It is affiliated with the National Councils on Developmental Disabilities, and strives for community integration and participation for people with disabilities and their families.

Contact Information:

3601 “C” Street, Suite 740

Anchorage, AK 99503

(907) 269-8990 or (888) 269-8990

[email protected]

Northwest Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Center

You can get assistance and guidance from the Northwest ADA Center for Alaskans with disabilities. Contact them early in your search for disability grants you can use for a wheelchair van or handicapped-accommodating modifications.

Contact Information:

Center for Continuing Education in Rehabilitation

University of Washington

6912 220th St S.W., Suite 105

Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

(800) 949-4232

Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC) of Alaska

The majority of SILCs’ governor boards are disabled residents. This helps ensure that they understand and represent the best interests of people with disabilities. They strive to provide independence for the elderly and disabled population. The Council is not a source of grant money, but they provide valuable information and suggestions.

Contact Information:

1057 West Fireweed Lane, 206

Anchorage, AK 99503

(888) 294 7452