Disability Grants in Connecticut

Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

This page will help residents of Connecticut find disability grant opportunities. The following organizations on this list have been carefully collected to help you find funding or get assistance in funding your used or new wheelchair van. The grants for disabled people can cover for any type of accessibility equipment you are looking for, such as a wheelchair or scooter ram, lift, outwardly pivoting seats, or adaptive driving controls.

Start by looking at the following list of state agencies and organizations for financial assistance in Connecticut. Every single one of them can help you achieve your goal of owning a handicap van to increase independence, self-determination and freedom.

Furthermore, there are many organizations and foundations that can help you with your disability. Many of these organizations are national, but they have chapters in Connecticut. You must contact these branches to find out more about disability grants or other funding options they might direct you to.

Sources for Connecticut Disability Grants and Assistance

Bureau of Rehabilitation Services (BRS), State of Connecticut

The federal funding for Connecticut’s BRS comes from the US Department of Education’s Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services and the Rehabilitation Services Administration. Its purpose is to assist the disabled people living in the state to find and maintain employment. They provide disability grants and transportation for people who need special transport to get into work and other support.

Contact Information:

Department of Social Services

25 Sigourney Street, 11th Floor

Hartford, CT 06106

(860) 424-4844 or toll free (800) 537-2549


Connect-Ability utilizes federal funds to attain employment easier for the disabled population of Connecticut. It works to remove barriers that prevent disabled people from finding rewarding jobs. This includes helping with transportation obstacles, and they can assist you get a handicapped-accessible van if you require it.

Contact Information:

(866) 844-1903

Connecticut Aging and Disabilities Resource Centers (ADRCs)

The US Administration on Community Living, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and the Centers for Community Living jointly operate the ADRCs. They provide a wealth of information for seniors and people with disabilities all over the country. There are also offices all over the state.

This is the same as the ADRCs which is one of the Disability Grants in Delaware.

Connecticut Association of Area Agencies on Aging (C4A)

C4A consists of five offices that serve the elderly population in Connecticut. Although direct funding is more likely to be given to groups than individuals, the Agency can help you find appropriate funding sources for your handicapped-friendly vehicle.

Connecticut Council on Developmental Disabilities (CDD)

Connecticut CDD tirelessly works to ensure that people with developmental disabilities have access to education, meaningful work, and community life. The Council may provide a grant for a wheelchair van to someone with a condition classified as a developmental disability.

Contact Information:

460 Capitol Avenue

Hartford, CT 06106-1308

(860) 418-6160 or (800) 653-1134

Connecticut Department of Veterans’ Affairs (VA)

All across the country, VAs work to support veterans. This is the place to go if you are a disabled veteran who lives in Connecticut. Veterans who have been injured in the line-of-duty are often eligible for grants from the VA to help with their mobility. You may also be eligible for money if your disability was only aggravated while in service, or if it was caused or exacerbated during VA care.

Contact Information:

287 West Street

Rocky Hill, CT 06067

(860) 616-3600

This is the same as the Veterans Affairs which is one of the Disability Grants in Colorado.

Connecticut Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

This is a branch in Connecticut of a national organization established by law to support the principles of independent living and equal access for Americans with disabilities. The Governor appoints the 23-member Council, which is made up a majority of disabled people living in Connecticut. This council is a great resource for finding financial assistance for your wheelchair van.

Contact Information:

Suites 132 & 134,

151 New Park Avenue

Hartford, CT 06106

Connecticut Tech Act Project (CTTAP)

CTTAP provides assistive technology for the elderly and disabled residents of Connecticut who require it to fully participate in school, work, and community life. They also teach you how to use the equipment, or lend it out temporarily. Additionally, they can help you get financial aid for assistive technology you might be able to benefit from.

Contact Information:

25 Sigourney Street, 11th Floor

Hartford, CT 06106

(860) 424-4881 or (800) 537-2549

New England Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Center

The New England ADA Center is Connecticut’s local chapter of The National Network of ADA Centers. It serves persons with disabilities, and it aims to improve and enhance the independence, self-determination and rights of all residents of Connecticut with disabilities. Furthermore, it is a valuable source of information and help when trying to find all disability grants that might be available for obtaining a wheelchair van.

Contact Information:

180-200 Portland Street

Suite 1

Boston, MA 02114

(617) 695-1225 or (800) 949-4232

Obie Harrington-Howes Foundation (OHHF)

The OHHF is a non-profit that provides grant money to Connecticut residents with spinal cord injuries. The purpose of disability grants is to encourage mobility, independence, and access to education.

Contact Information:

P.O.Box 2221

Darien, CT 06820

(888) 265-5859