Disability Grants in Delaware

Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

Some Delaware disability grants can help residents of the state achieve their goal of owning an accessible wheelchair van. These grants can also be used to make modifications to improve the accessibility of vehicles, including lowered floors, wheelchair ramps or lifts, turning automotive seating systems, and adaptive driving controls.

There are many sources of state-based financial aid available to Delaware residents who need a wheelchair van. Some of these groups offer grant money to individuals. While those who don’t offer grant money will help you find resources that you might not have otherwise. Many others can assist you in the application process or offer other support.

Furthermore, don’t forget that agencies and organizations for people with disabilities are key sources of information, grant money, and other assistance. You can check with your local chapter which grants for disabled people they have.

Sources for Delaware Disability Grants and Assistance

Adam Taliaferro Foundation

The Adam Taliaferro Foundation provides financial aid and other assistance to Delaware student athletes (and in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, too) who have suffered a severe injury during school-sponsored sports competitions. It is named after Adam Taliaferro. He was a football player from Voorhees, New Jersey who sustained a spinal injury while playing for Penn State University.

Contact Information:

P.O. Box 8232

Turnersville, New Jersey 08012

(856) 582-0212

[email protected]

Delaware Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

The state’s ADRC is the component of the national program. It is dedicated to assisting the elderly and disabled residents of Delaware meet their mobility and other needs. It provides excellent information, direction to services, and other forms of aid.

Contact Information:

(800) 223-9074

[email protected]

Delaware Assistive Technology Initiative (DATI)

DATI is available to all Delaware residents, regardless of age, who require assistive technology because they have a disability. The Center for Disabilities Studies at Delaware University runs it.

Contact Information:

College of Education and Human Development

University of Delaware

461 Wyoming Road

Newark, DE 19716

(302) 831-0354 or (800) 870-DATI

Delaware Commission of Veterans Affairs (VA)

All kinds of support are available from the VA for disabled veterans. You can apply for grant money for a handicap van if your disability was caused from or exacerbated by active duty service or VA services. Delaware residents can contact their state office to get assistance.

Contact Information:

802 Silver Lake Blvd.

Robbins Building Suite 100

Dover, DE 19904

(302) 739-2792 or (800) 344-9900

Delaware Disabilities Council (DDC)

DDC provides assistance to individuals who meet the federally-established guidelines for persons with developmental disabilities. It aims to improve their self-determination and quality of life, provide financial assistance, and more.

Contact Information:

410 Federal Street, Suite 2

Dover, Delaware 19901

Delaware Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

SILCs are private nonprofit corporations that assist disabled people to live more independently. Each state has its own local division, and Delaware’s can help you the right resource to find assistance for purchasing a wheelchair van. The link will take you to the contact information of various offices and personnel.

This is the same as the SILC in Connecticut, one of the Disability Grants in Connecticut.

Division of Services for Aging and Adults with Physical Disabilities (DSAAPD)

DSAAPD provides services to Delaware residents over 60 years old, or those with a physical disability over 18 years old. This program also aims to improve independence, self-reliance, and quality of life for those individuals.

Contact Information:

1901 N. DuPont Highway, Main Bldg.

New Castle, DE 19720

(800) 223-9074

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR), State of Delaware

DVR of the Delaware government is an agency of the State Department of Labor. They can assist you with purchasing and leasing wheelchair vans, or conversions for handicapped accessibility, if these are essential to your work. If this is the case, inquire about a disability grant. To find out contact information for state offices, visit the DVR website.

This is similar to the DVR programme, one of the Disability Grants in Florida.