Disability Grants in Iowa

Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

Iowa residents can apply for disability grants to help them purchase a wheelchair van. You can also use them to install modifications to improve vehicle accessibility like lowered flooring, wheelchair or scooter ramps or lifts, pivoting seating systems, and adaptive driving controls.

There are many sources of state-based financial assistance available to Iowa residents who need a wheelchair van. Some of these groups offer grants for disabled people directly. However, there are groups that do not may help you find promising resources that you might not have found while researching on your own. Many are also available to assist you with your application process, and offer other support.

Furthermore, don’t forget that charities established for people with specific disabilities are essential sources of information, disability grant money, and other help. Therefore, make sure to check with your state chapters.

Sources for Iowa Disability Grants and Assistance

Great Plains Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Center

The Great Plains ADA Center ensures persons with disabilities residing in Iowa receive fair and equal treatment. They also provide access to the assistance and services they are entitled to. For helpful advice about how to apply for disability grants that can be used towards a handicap van, or vehicle modifications and equipment, get in touch.

Contact Information:

100 Corporate Lake Drive

Columbia, MO 65203

(573) 882-3600

[email protected]

Iowa Able Foundation

Iowa Able Foundation is a nonprofit organization that serves the entire state of Iowa. They provide loans for Iowans with disabilities for assistive technology, home and vehicle modifications, credit builders, and business loans. Moreover, they offer free financial education to all potential and current borrowers.

Contact Information:

130 S. Sheldon Ave. Suite 201

Ames, Iowa 50014

(888) 222-8943

Iowa Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

For all questions regarding disability services and resources, contact your local ADRC. They offer simple and accurate answers, while other agencies might send you around in circles or provide you misinformation. It is important to contact them during your quest for funding assistance for your handicapped-accommodating van.

This is the same as the similar Disability Grants in Indiana.

Iowa Area Agencies on Aging (AAA)

Contact the AAA in your county if you or someone you love is experiencing limited mobility in old age, or due to age-related disorders. You’ll find support and services, such as finding financial assistance to meet your mobility requirements.

Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)

Iowa DVA is the best place to contact if you are a US Military veteran who has been left with impaired mobility due to service or VA care. The Department might possibly help you to pay for the handicapped-accessible van you need.

Contact Information:

7105 NW 70th Ave.

Camp Dodge, Bldg. 3663

Johnston, IA 50131-1824

(515) 242-5331 or (800) 838-4692

[email protected]


Iowa COMPASS provides free information and referrals, a listing service of used adapted equipment and legal assistance with adapted devices for persons with disabilities and their families living in Iowa.

Contact Information:

(800) 779-2001

[email protected]

Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services (IVRS)

IVRS exists to assist people with disabilities living in Iowa to find jobs and excel in their chosen fields. This agency may be able to help you if your limited mobility is preventing you from obtaining and maintaining employment. You may be eligible for a direct disability grant that can be used towards accessibility conversions or a wheelchair van.

Contact Information:

510 East 12th St.

Des Moines, IA 50319

(515) 281-4211 or (800) 532-1486

This is the same as one of the Disability Grants in Kansas.