Disability Grants in Kentucky

Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

Are you a senior citizen or disabled person living in Kentucky; you or someone you love is in need of a wheelchair van for mobility; you are struggling to pay for it, then you are in luck! This article has collected and researched the top state programs that provide disability grants in Kentucky. Moreover, this includes resources for getting help finding grants for disabled people. Check out the following list of state departments and organizations to find out more about financial aid options to assist in paying for your handicap van.

No matter if you are looking to buy or lease a used or new wheelchair van, or if you need accessibility modifications such as lifts, ramps or turning automotive seating systems, adaptive driving control, etc. for your vehicle. There are disability grants for mobility available to be applied for any of these items.

Furthermore, Kentucky has several local chapters of national charitable foundations and other organizations for people with specific disabilities. You may find the contact information of relevant organizations and ask within.

Sources for Kentucky Disability Grants And Assistance

Kentucky Assistive Technology Loan Corporation (KATLC)

Kentucky Assistive Technology Loan Corporation (KATLC) provides low-interest loans to qualified applicants with disabilities who require assistive technology.

Contact Information:

275 East Main Street

Mail Drop 2 E-K

Frankfort, KY 40621

1-877-675-0195 (Toll Free)

1-502-564-2951 (Fax)

Kentucky Aging and Disability Resource Centers (ADRCs)

The website presents an interactive map showing the state of Kentucky. Then, you may click on the county you are interested in to find an ADRC in your region. You will find extensive and very helpful information about securing services and disability grants, including even a handicap van.

Contact Information:

(877) 925-0037

Kentucky Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) and Independent Living

AAA is responsible for administering many services available to elderly residents in Kentucky. If you have impaired mobility due to aging, AAA is the agency that you should contact. Learn all about your options, including the possibility of receiving disability grants to purchase a wheelchair- or scooter-friendly vehicle.

This is very similar to the AAA Disability Grants in Louisiana.

Kentucky Assistive Technology Service (KATS) Network Coordinating Center

The KATS Network Coordinating Center aims to make assistive technology devices, information and services available to all Kentucky residents with disabilities. Contact them to learn more about funding options for your vehicle modifications or wheelchair van.

Contact Information:

Charles McDowell Center

8412 Westport Road

Louisville, KY 40242

(502) 429-4484 or (800) 327-5287

Kentucky Department of Veterans Affairs (KDVA)

The KDVA provides support and services for disabled Kentuckians who have served in the US Military. You may qualify for financial assistance for a handicap van if you are disabled as a result of service or VA care.

Contact Information:

1111B Louisville Rd.

Frankfort, KY 40601

(502) 564-9203 or (800) 572-6245

Kentucky Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR)

Kentucky’s OVR helps state residents with disabilities to achieve greater independence with employment. If you need a handicapped-accessible vehicle in order to work, you may qualify for a disability grant from this agency.

Contact Information:

Cabinet for Human Resources Building

275 East Main Street

Mail Stop 2E-K

Frankfort, KY 40621

(502) 564-4440 or (800) 372-7172

Kentucky Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

The Council in Kentucky manages the Independent Living Centers of the state. They provide information about public policies pertaining to the aging and disabled population. They also prioritize the best interest of these people, and advocate for their capacity to have independent, participatory lives. However, SILC doesn’t offer grant money. Instead they assist people in finding groups that do.

Contact Information:

Kelli Sheets

275 East Main Street 3E-E

Frankfort, KY 40621

[email protected]

This is the same as the SILC Disability Grants in Kansas.