Disability Grants in Vermont

Last Updated on August 22, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

You’ve reached the right place if you are a Vermont resident and you want to know how to pay for a wheelchair van. This list is a compilation of a lot of information about resources in your state for disability grants. You can find everything you need to get a handicap van, or to convert a vehicle with accessibility accessories. This includes scooter or wheelchair lifts, turning automotive seating systems, adaptive driving controls, and everything in between.

This is a collection of primary sources based in Vermont for disability grants and other assistance for individuals. Although some of these resources do not provide grants for individuals, they can be extremely helpful in finding financial aid options to help you with your search for a handicap van you might not have known on your own.

Furthermore, you can contact Vermont-based branches for disability specific foundations, or other groups working with persons with disabilities. These foundations often provide grants for disabled people, or they can help you find them.

Sources for Vermont Disability Grants and Assistance

Department of Disabilities, Aging and Independent Living (DAIL)

DAIL is an essential contact in the state government of Vermont for disabled and elderly population. They offer information, services, and other assistance. For assistance in finding disability grants that may be available to you, contact them.

Contact Information:

103 South Main Street

Weeks Building

Waterbury, VT 05671-1601

(802) 871-3350

New England Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Center

Residents of Vermont who are looking for disability grants in order to purchase a wheelchair van need to contact their local branch of the National Network of ADA Centers, the New England ADA Center. It works to protect and promote the independence, self-determination, and rights of the state’s disabled citizens.

Contact Information:

180-200 Portland Street

Suite 1

Boston, MA 02114

(617) 695-1225 or (800) 949-4232

[email protected]

Office of Veterans Affairs (VA), State of Vermont

If you are a disabled veteran from the US, Vermont’s VA needs to be your first stop. Disability grants can be used to purchase a wheelchair van, or to modify vehicles for handicap accessibility. The VA offers these grants, along with many other support services. Veterans who are disabled while on duty or due to VA medical services can receive grants regularly.

Contact Information:

118 State Street

Montpelier, Vermont 05620-4401

(802) 828-3379 or (888) 666-9844

Vermont Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC)

The US Administration on Community Living and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services are worked together to operate ADRCs. Every state has its own division with multiple offices serving different counties. This is a great resource for disabled and elderly residents of Vermont who are trying to get a wheelchair van. Click the link above to locate your county office contact information.

Vermont Area Agencies on Aging (AAA)

This is the best resource for seniors living in Vermont. Your state’s AAA offers a range of support services that will help you stay as independent as possible in your later years.

Contact Information:

30 Washington St.

Barre, VT 05641

(802) 479-0531 or (800) 642-5119

[email protected]

This is the same as the AAA Disability Grants in Utah.

Vermont Assistive Technology Program (ATP)

The Vermont ATP offers assistance to residents with disabilities who need assistive technology. This includes handicapped-friendly transportation. They also provide training, information, technical assistance, and more. Moreover, you can borrow assistive technology to test out for a short time. Ask where you can apply for disability grants to pay for your wheelchair van.

Contact Information:

DAIL/ VT Assistive Technology Program

HC 2 South

280 State Drive

Waterbury, VT 05671-1090

(800) 750-6355

Vermont Developmental Disabilities Council (DDC)

The National Association of DDCs has state-based branches in all 50 states. All Vermont residents who are defined as persons with developmental disabilities according to federal law have access to this Council. They tirelessly work to promote and protect a high standard of living for those with these conditions. Individual grants are available to assist with retaining mobility and other aspects of independence.

Contact Information:

103 South Main Street

One North, Suite 117

Waterbury VT 05671-0206

(802) 828-1310 or (888) 317-2006

[email protected]

Vermont Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

The Vermont Disability Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR) is committed to helping the disabled citizens of the state to be gainfully employed. The agency offers a range of practical services to help you find and keep a job. Moreover, disability grants might be available if you need a wheelchair van. You can search for a location in your city on the DVR website, or contact the main office at:

Contact Information:

103 South Main Street, Weeks 1A

Waterbury, VT 05671-2303

(866) 879-6757

Vermont Statewide Independent Living Council (SILC)

The Vermont SILC, like its counterparts in other states, is a consumer controlled non-governmental, legally mandated organization. It is managed by 21 members with disabilities, and it promotes independence, self-determination, and equality for persons with disabilities.

Contact Information:

P.O. Box 56

Winooski, VT 05404

(802) 233-4908

This is the same as the SILC Disability Grants in Virginia.