Disability Grants in Washington

Last Updated on August 7, 2022 by Danielle McDonald

This article has collected and compiled sources of Washington disability grants for residents to apply towards purchasing a wheelchair van. There are many places you can turn to for assistance, whether you need help buying your new or used handicap van, or paying for modifications and accessibility accessories.

Some listings include state-based or government agencies that provide direct disability grants for Washington residents. Some are go-to sources of financial assistance guidance that you may be qualified for. They are the best people to help you understand your options and the grants for disabled people.

Furthermore, you can find out about the available disability grants and information from state chapters of disability-specific groups. You can also reach out to local contacts at these foundations and associations that are relevant for your cause of impaired mobility.

Sources For Washington Disability Grants And Assistance

Northwest Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Center

The National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research funds Northwest ADA Center. It is part of the National Network of ADA Centers. This branch is for Washingtonians. It promotes and advocates for the rights, equality and independence of persons with disabilities in the Northwest.

Center for Continuing Education in Rehabilitation

University of Washington

Contact Information:

6912 220th St S.W., Suite 105

Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

(425) 248-2480 or (800) 949-4232

Washington Aging & Disability Resource Centers (ADRC)

Washington’s ADRCs offer comprehensive services, and the most current information for seniors and people with disabilities who live in Washington. There are many centers located throughout the state that offer professional assistance for your search for wheelchair van disability grants.

Contact Information:

US Mail:

PO Box 45600

Olympia, WA 98504-5600

Physical Address/FedEx/UPS:

4450 10th Avenue SE

Blake West

Lacey, WA 98503


Washington Assistive Technology Act Program (WATAP)

WATAP offers assistive technology expertise, and resources to the disabled population in the state of Washington. Get in touch if you have any want to learn more (or how to use) the assistive technology. You may also contact them if you need help getting some funding for your wheelchair van, if you want to try out new equipment before buying it, or if you need more assistive technology support.

Contact Information:

(800) 214-8731

Washington Association of Area Agencies on Aging (W4A)

W4A manages 13 Area Agencies on Aging for the elderly across Washington. The local branch can help you secure financial aid for your handicapped-friendly transportation.

Contact Information:

2404 Heritage Ct SW

Olympia, WA 98502

(360) 485-9761

[email protected]

Washington State Developmental Disabilities Council (DDC)

Disability grants can be applied for a wheelchair van, or handicap van accessories and modifications through your state’s DDC. This grant is available to all residents with a condition that falls within the federal guidelines of a developmental disability.

Contact Information:

P.O. Box 48314

Olympia, WA 98504-8314

(360) 586-3560 or (800) 634-4473

Washington Division of Vocational Rehabilitation (DVR)

The DVR of Washington is under the control of the state’s Department of Social and Health Services. There are many locations throughout the state that help people with disabilities live more independent and rewarding lives through getting and keeping jobs. There are also disability grants for a handicap van, or handicapped accessibility conversion if necessary for looking and maintaining your job.

Contact Information:

4565 7th Avenue SE

Lacey, WA 98503

(360) 725-3636 or toll free (800) 637-5627

This is more or less the same as the VR Disability Grants in West Virginia.

Washington State Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

The VA in the state of Washington serves veterans who are residents of the US military. It provides full support and services in recognition of military service, dedications, and sacrifice. If you or your family members acquired a mobility-limiting condition from active duty or during VA-sponsored care, or these circumstances worsen a pre-existing condition, then you are qualified for a grant for disability. This will pay for a wheelchair van and other assistance.

Contact Information:

P.O. Box 41150

Olympia, WA 98504

(360) 725-2200 or (800) 562-0132

[email protected]

This is similar to the DVS Disability Grants in Virginia.

Washington State Independent Living Council (WASILC)

WASILC promotes independent living for disabled residents in Washington. Although it doesn’t make any financial contributions, it can be a valuable resource of information for those who want to improve their mobility and self-determination.

Contact Information:

P.O. Box 45343

Olympia, WA 98504

(800) 624-4105

[email protected]

6912 220th St S.W., Suite 105

Mountlake Terrace, WA 98043

(425) 248-2480 or (800) 949-4232




Scroll to Top