Last Updated on August 24, 2023 by Hannah Stevens
Federal grants are owned by the federal government, established to assist low-income individuals and families have affordable access to health care, education, housing, etc. If you come from a family with little to no income, wanting to go to a prestigious university, buy an apartment, or even apply for health care insurance can be tedious. Most of the time opportunities are too hard to find, and frustration and irritation build up. All the things you want to buy for yourself are too far gone. The only thing you can do is imagine what it would be like to have money to afford those. But with the proclamation of federal grants, it’s like an opportunity has been laid down before you. It offers to fund for different kinds of purposes that you may be interested in and the lack of financial help will be finally provided by the government. In this article, I will be discussing the various federal grants you can choose from and apply for.
What are government grants?
Government grants come as a form of financial assistance given to qualified applicants. These grants may be available at the local, state, and federal levels of government. The purpose of these government grants is to help individuals pay or buy personal items off their list. Government grants are not, in any way, similar to loans. You don’t have to incur interest or repay the money you’ve received. You simply have to take advantage of the grant money and spend it wisely. Government grants promote economic stimulation, which is why it’s mostly intended for low-income individuals and families. Aside from that, single parents, divorced individuals, victims of abuse, etc. are also eligible to apply for government grants. While these types of individuals are what most federal governments seek to offer financial aid, being a minority, women, people wanting to start a business, or the first member of the family to graduate can also apply.
What is the goal of Federal Grant and Cooperative Agreement Act of 1977, as incorporated in Title 31 Section 6304 of the U.S. Code?
A grant was established for the sole purpose of economic stimulation under the promulgation of the United States government. It is known as financial assistance to be given to qualified applicants for their specified purposes. To make it legally known, the Federal Grant and Cooperative Agreement Act of 1977, as incorporated in Title 31 Section 6304 of the U.S. Code is entitled to be a legal instrument defining the relationship between the United States Government and a State, or a local government giving out an invaluable offer from the state or local government to another recipient as a form of support rather than acquiring property or services in the form of purchase, barter, or lease. Moreover, substantial involvement is prohibited and is not encouraged between the executive agency and the local or state government when delivering the activity issued in the agreement.
What are the types of Federal Grants?
Federal Grants can cover a wider audience and there are four types of funding to choose from. Looking for these four types can be hard, especially if you don’t know where to look first. But if you’re determined to get a grant yourself, it’d be easy for you to find. The four types of funding have different processes and applications, and they also seek specific applicants for their purposes.
Furthermore, the following list contains the types of federal grants:
- Continuation – Renewal Grants – As imposed by its title, “renewal”, it allows recipients to apply for an extension of the funding or additional budget period.
- Pass-Through Grants – Issued by a Federal Agency – Federal agencies use these pass-through grants as a means to transfer funds to other State agencies, or other.
- Formula Grant – Based on Predetermined Award – They rely on formulas that would label recipients as predetermined. This is a non-competitive grant, but the formula the government relies on has certain details that they want from their recipients. Funding covers education, transportation infrastructure, and Medicaid health insurance.
- Competitive Grant – Based on the Merits – Derived from the word “competitive” the selection process of funding is also competitive. There would be a panel of reviewers to assess your application and what merits it entails. The funding covers scientific research, college tuition, arts and humanities, etc.
- eligible organizations. Once the funds are transferred to State agencies, they have every right to either make them competitive or non-competitive grants.
What are the tips to pass grant applications?
For an individual who’s a beginner in applying for grants and doesn’t have any knowledge background on how grant applications works, taking tips from an expert or professional may help them draft a grant proposal as efficiently as possible. Tips help everyone know everything, however little it may be. It can make a difference in everything, and it would boost their confidence in themselves.
Furthermore, the following list are tips on how to pass grant applications:
- Do the Proper Research
- Statement of Need: State the Problem and Offer Solution (The impact you hope it makes)
- Give an Overview of Your Organization with an Executive Summary
- Know your audience you are pitching
- Format the Proposal, so it’s easy to read
- Evaluation: How you will measure the degree of its success
- Budget: Understand What and How much to ask for
- Use a grant proposal template (sample)
- Be human – make your passion apparent to grant makers
- Follow directions on the application
- Match your methods and aims
- Showcase historical results that display responsibility in spending
What types of federal grants are given to state and local government?
The federal government awards grant money to states and localities with a purpose, yet most of it is intended to be used for health care. The two main types of federal grants are categorical grants and block grants. Categorical grants are limited to a specific purpose, such as providing accessible food and nutrition under the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children, otherwise known as WIC. On the other hand, block grants don’t have any limited specific purposes, and they offer financial assistance to needy families, such as the mission of the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program.
How does the state shares federal grants to local government?
The federal government ensures that they give grants to state and local governments for specific purposes. Because state and local governments have superior information about local preferences and costs, the federal government may distribute or share responsibility for a certain service or function in some situations. In some cases, the federal government may consider offering incentives to states and localities to spend more money for the sake of neighboring authorities or the country as a whole.
What are the categories of federal grants?
Federal grants issued by the government have many purposes, each different from the other. These grants help individuals with financial assistance, specifically on things they need but can’t afford. The eligibility of grants is limited to low-and-moderate-income individuals and families. They’re the type of people who need funding a great deal more on the matter of sustaining themselves.
Furthermore, the following list are the categories of federal grants:
- Environmental Quality
- Business and Commerce
- Law, Justice, and Legal Services
- Employment, Labor, and Training
- Community Development
- Social Services and Income Security
- Disaster Prevention and Relief
- Natural Resources
- Education Regional Development
- Food and Nutrition
- Information and Statistics
- Science and Technology
- Consumer Protection
Where to find federal government grants?
When an individual needs money, they can turn to looking for government grants. They can be found on government’s websites or ask your nearest state or local government agencies to inquire more information. Knowing where to find government grants is a crucial step, especially if one knows where to look for.
Furthermore, the following list are where you can find federal government sources:
- Benefits.gov – Individuals are not directly assisted by government grants; instead, are used to pay state and municipal programs that aid those who are in need. State and local government benefits, as well as how to apply, can be found on this online screening site. Direct payments, loans, insurance, training, and other services are all covered.
- USA.gov for Business – It’s responsible for contracting with the federal government, foreign trading and exporting, and small companies are only a few of the topics covered.
- FTC Consumer Alert – It acts as a warning to applicants to be aware of paying for “processing fees” or any information that can be accessed by the public. Ads are advertising federal grants that are scam.
- State Single Points of Contact – Federal financial aid is coordinated through the state offices indicated in their website, and federal development may be directed by them. Other state government agencies’ websites, such as State and Local Agencies, might assist you in locating state-level funding.
- Assistance Listings at beta.Sam.gov – This contains over 2,000 financial assistance programs that can be accessed by the public.
- A-Z Index Departments & Agencies – It’s where you can find a grant proposal, programs, and objectives.
- DHS Financial Assistance – They distribute grant programs to state and local governments.
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy – This is a competitive grant that gives funding for vehicles to be used for business, industries, universities, etc.
- OMB Circulars – They facilitate the management policies and guidelines of federal grants through circulars and common rules.Federal Contract Opportunities – it’s an official website where posting business, contracting, and procurement opportunities can be found.
- Grants.gov – This is a searchable database where you can find many grants with different purposes.
- Student Aid on the Web – Financial assistance is given to students and base their application through needs-based. They offer loans and work-study.
Women are always seen as inferior compared to men. Society deemed them incapable of doing a “supposed” man’s job, so sometimes women are getting paid less for what they’re doing. These grants that the federal government is offering will be an immense help for them to step up their game in a patriarchal-led society, and starting a small business will be a great start. The grants will serve as their backbone support to grow and prosper their small businesses.