Indiana Department of Veterans Affairs: Military Family Relief Fund

Last Updated on August 22, 2023 by Hannah Stevens

Military Family Relief Fund – COVID 19

Military families in financial distress can benefit from the Military Family Relief Fund COVID-19 Emergency Assistance program. These funds will be used to help these families pay for essential household expenses during a National Emergency. The Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs, in conjunction with using MFRF, also offers services to help service members all opportunities to provide a stable life for their families.

A service member must be serving honorably, or have received an honorable or under honorable conditions discharge. Qualified Service Members may qualify for the funds if they have served at least 12 months of active duty.

Did you remember to read our article about the City of Boston’s Rental Relief Fund?

Families may apply for the emergency grant on a case-by-case basis to cover up to 2 months of household needs, including food, housing, utilities, medical services, child care, and other important family support, which became hard to afford.

Are you interested in more Free Money Grants and Government Grants for Individuals?

Required Documents:

  • Application requires: General Information, Grant Request, Budget Worksheet, W9 (with handwritten signature), Direct Deposit Forms (with handwritten or digital signature), Authorization to Release Information forms (include spouse information, if married).
  • A statement letter signed by the veteran, and explain IN DETAIL how the COVID-19 pandemic has affected you.
  • DD214, which shows the type of discharge.
  • 2 months of your current bills and invoices for all items you need assistance with.
  • The most recent month’s bank statements for all accounts you have; showing all withdrawals and deposits for 30 days.
  • Proof of income for applicant and spouse (last 2 pay stubs, VA compensation, SSA, retirement, cash assistance, employment, etc.)
  • A letter written by your employer confirming that your employment income was interrupted.

Don’t forget to look up our article about the Emergency Dean Fund.

Submit Applications through:: 

For questions, please contact the following people: 

  • Lynn Dickey: 317-232-3914 
  • Kay Ross: 317-234-8653 
  • Nicole Vandyke: 317-234-8656