Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens
The federal government spends more than $7,578.00million dollars annually in grants and local funding sources of $5.033.00 million dollars. This is because small and large businesses are the backbone of Iowa’s economic growth. Iowa has 63,720 businesses. These establishments are broken down into the following:
Iowa Business Sector Breakdown by Size:
- 36,263 businesses in Iowa have between 0 and 4 employees. This breakdown includes those who work from home as sole proprietors.
- 11,070 businesses in Iowa have between 5 and 9 employees.
- 7,040 businesses in Iowa have between 10 and 19 employees.
- 5,942 businesses in Iowa have between 20 and 99 employees.
- 1,651 businesses in Iowa have between 100 and 499 employees.
- Over 1,754 businesses in Iowa have over 500 employees.
Iowa Business Sector Breakdown in Service Industries:
- The Professional, Scientific and Technical Services sector have 6,263 Iowa Businesses under its registry
- The Administrative, Support, Waste Management, and Remediation Services sector have 3,624 Iowa Businesses under its registry
- The Accommodation and Food Services sector have 6,903 Iowa Businesses under its registry
- More than 9,208 registered businesses in Iowa are also service orientated businesses but are not categorized to the above sectors.
You may also be eligible for grants for small businesses if you work in the agriculture industry. Iowa has more than 93,000 farms.
Small Businesses in Iowa
It is difficult to start and manage a small Iowa business. In Iowa, more than $43,832,368,000.00 US dollars is spent on employee salaries/payroll. Every year, more than 103,000 businesses file for bankruptcy. The federal government doesn’t provide grants to entrepreneurs for expanding or starting a business. However, small business grants can be made available in Iowa to help business owners start and grow their ventures. Grant recipients don’t have to repay the grant funding. It is worth looking into small business grants to help fund your business.
Contact Iowa State University to apply for Iowa business grants Iowa financial aid agencies .
Recent State Funding Opportunities
Below is a list of opportunities recently published in the local state: