Last Updated on August 7, 2022 by Danielle McDonald
The federal government spends more than $8,305.00million dollars in grants and local government funds of $7.642.00 million dollars in the business sector since small businesses and large corporations are the backbone of economic growth in Mississippi. The state of Mississippi has 46,137 businesses, and they are broken down into the following:
Mississippi Business Sector Breakdown by Size
- 25,439 registered businesses in Mississippi have 0 to 4 employees. This breakdown includes those who work from home and have sole proprietorship.
- 8,602 registered businesses in Mississippi have 5 to 9 employees.
- 5,186 registered businesses in Mississippi have 10-19 employees.
- 4,180 registered businesses in Mississippi have 20-99 employees.
- 1,111 registered businesses in Mississippi have 100 to 499 employees.
- Over 1,619 registered businesses in Mississippi have over 500 employees.
Mississippi Business Sector Breakdown in Service Industries
- 4,761 registered businesses in Mississippi are in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services sector.
- 2,237 registered businesses in Mississippi are part of the Administrative, Support, Waste Management, and Remediation Services sector.
- 4,864 registered businesses in Mississippi belong in the Accommodation and Food Services sector.
- More than 6,597 registered businesses in Mississippi are also service orientated businesses, but do not belong in the categories above.
You may also be eligible to apply for grants for small businesses if you work in the agriculture industry. The state of Mississippi has more than 42,000 farms.
Small Businesses in Mississippi
It is difficult to start and manage a small business in Mississippi. In this state, more than $28,452,219,000.00 US dollars is spent on employee salaries and payroll, and every year, over 14,797 businesses declare bankruptcy. The federal government does not provide grants to expand or start businesses publicly, but in Mississippi, small business grants are available to help business owners grow their ventures. Moreover, grant recipients don’t have to repay the government funding. So, it is worth looking into small business grants to help fund your business.
Contact Mississippi financial assistance agencies to apply for Mississippi business grants.
Recent State Funding Opportunities
Below is a list of opportunities recently published in the local state: