Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens
The federal government allocates the majority of the budget of more than $2,254.00 million dollars in grants and additional funding sources of $1,806.00 million dollars from the local government annually into the business sector since small businesses and large corporations are the backbone of North Dakota’s economic growth. The state of North Dakota has 17,845 businesses, and they are broken down into the following:
North Dakota Business Sector Breakdown by Size
- 9,994 registered businesses in North Dakota have 0 to 4 employees. This breakdown includes those who work from home and have sole proprietorship.
- 3,004 registered businesses in North Dakota have 5 to 9 employees.
- 1,956 registered businesses in North Dakota have 10-19 employees.
- 1,734 registered businesses in North Dakota have 20-99 employees.
- 449 registered businesses in North Dakota have 100 to 499 employees.
- Over 708 registered businesses in North Dakota have over 500 employees.
North Dakota Business Sector Breakdown in Service Industries
- 1,508 registered businesses in North Dakota belong in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services sector.
- 898 registered businesses in North Dakota are in the Administrative, Support, Waste Management, and Remediation Services sector.
- 1,838 registered businesses in North Dakota are part of the Accommodation and Food Services sector.
- More than 2,402 registered businesses in North Dakota are also service orientated businesses, but are not part of the categories above.
You may also be eligible to apply for grants for small businesses if you work in the agriculture industry. The state of North Dakota has more than 32,000 farms.
Small Businesses in North Dakota
It is difficult to start and manage a small business in North Dakota. More than $10,045,929,000.00 US dollars is spent on employee salaries/payroll alone in North Dakota, and every year, over 1,627 businesses go bankrupt. The federal government doesn’t provide grants publicly for expanding or starting a business. However, some small business grants can be offered in North Dakota to help business owners start and grow their ventures. Moreover, grant recipients don’t have to repay the government funding. So, it is worth looking into small business grants to help fund your business.
Contact North Dakota financial aid agencies to apply for business grants.
Recent State Funding Opportunities
Below is a list of opportunities recently published in the local state: