Last Updated on August 23, 2023 by Hannah Stevens
The federal government allocates the majority of the budget of more than $27,363.00 million dollars in grants and additional funding sources of $21,796.00 million dollars from the local government into the business sector since small businesses and large corporations are the backbone of Pennsylvania’s economic growth. The state of Pennsylvania has 232,755 business establishments, and these are broken down as follows:
Pennsylvania Business Sector Breakdown by Size
- 132,060 registered businesses in Pennsylvania have 0 to 4 employees. This breakdown includes those who work from home and sole proprietorship.
- 42,623 registered businesses in Pennsylvania have 5 to 9 employees.
- 26,124 registered businesses in Pennsylvania have 10-19 employees.
- 22,711 registered businesses in Pennsylvania have 20-99 employees.
- 5,282 registered businesses in Pennsylvania have 100 to 499 employees.
- Over 3,955 registered businesses in Pennsylvania have over 500 employees.
Pennsylvania Business Sector Breakdown in Service Industries
- 29,723 registered businesses in Pennsylvania are in the Professional, Scientific and Technical Services sector.
- 15,026 registered businesses in Pennsylvania are part of the Administrative, Support, Waste Management, and Remediation Services sector.
- 27,264 registered businesses in Pennsylvania belong in the Accommodation and Food Services sector.
- More than 35,376 registered businesses in Pennsylvania are also service orientated businesses but are not categorized to the above sectors.
You may also be eligible to apply for grants for small businesses if you work in the agriculture industry. The state of Pennsylvania has more than 63,000 farms.
Small Businesses in Pennsylvania
It is difficult to start and manage a small business in Pennsylvania. More than $209,778,000,000.00 US dollars is spent on employee salaries/payroll alone in this state, and every year, over 38,816 companies declare bankruptcy. The federal government doesn’t provide grants for expanding or starting a business publicly. However, some small business grants can be given in Pennsylvania to help business owners start or grow their businesses. Moreover, grant recipients don’t have to repay the government funding. So, it is worth looking into small business grants to help fund your business.
Contact Pennsylvania financial assistance agencies to apply for business grants.
Recent State Funding Opportunities
Below is a list of opportunities recently published in the local state: