Last Updated on November 16, 2022 by Danielle McDonald
You can also take a look at the pet grants from all the other states.
Receive Emergency Medical Assistance
These are the guidelines to receive medical assistance. Please read all instructions and requirements carefully.
Many people with low incomes or fixed incomes find it difficult to afford veterinary care for their pets. This is an awful and painful reality we have to live with. Actors and Others is just one of the few organizations that provides financial assistance to guardians for them to be able to afford veterinary procedures and keep their pets.
To apply for financial assistance, you must complete the online application. They are doing their best to assist every single applicant, but they cannot help everyone. Every case is unique, and the amount of financial aid provided will vary depending on each case. However, it is limited. The amount of financial assistance offered depends on a variety of factors, including the type of the illness or injury, the course needed to be taken, and the availability of funds at the time of the request. They do not cover the entire cost of any procedure.
It is acknowledged that many people are struggling financially, facing unemployment, disability, foreclosure, and loss of home. However, if you don’t have the money to pay for your pet’s veterinary care, the organization won’t always be able to help you.
Although people are grateful to veterinary science for providing so many advances in treatment, many of these treatments come at a significant cost. In situations where treatment costs are in the thousands, the organization does not have the financial resources to assist.
It is your responsibility to ensure that your pet receives immediate medical attention if the risk to their health is imminent. Please do not wait to contact the organization and please be reminded that they cannot guarantee financial assistance. The health of your pet must be taken first.
Requirements to Get Assistance
- You must reside in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, or Ventura counties in California.
- You must be the owner or guardian of the pet. They are unable to help rescue and adoption groups, or those who foster an animal before adoption.
- The pet must be spayed/neutered or may be sterilized immediately after treatment. The organization will cover the cost of spay/neuter procedure on top of the medical assistance. They are aware that sometimes the pet may not be sterilized at the time of their treatment due to their age, or the nature of their illness or injury. These cases will not be covered by the assistance. This applies to puppies that have parvo.
- A medical opinion must be obtained to determine what is wrong with your pet and the best course of action and cost estimation. However, the organization cannot cover the cost for the trip to the veterinary office to get this information.
- They don’t provide assistance for routine care, vaccinations, grooming, or kenneling.
- The organization cannot provide assistance for illnesses or injuries that could not have been prevented through standard routine care.
- If the animal has undergone the under treatment, and the bill has been paid and you seek reimbursement, or the animal has been released from the veterinarian, the organization will not offer assistance.
- They are unable to assist you more than once a year due to the high volume of applications.
- The veterinarian or veterinary clinic must accept a financial promise from the organization and will bill them when the treatment or procedure is complete.
- At the time of filling out the application, you must prove that you are in financial need and provide an honest dollar amount you will be able to cover for your pet’s care. The organization cannot help you if you write “don’t know,” “none” or any other. Please provide details about the name and any amount of financial assistance received from another organization.
- They are unable to help with cataracts, cancer, specialty procedures, ongoing treatment, or treatments that cost thousands of dollars. The organization does not have the money.
- You must submit your applications online.
In these difficult economic times, it is important to remember that pets are part of our family and that we cannot predict when injury or illness will happen. Preventative care is a great way to avoid costly problems and/or catch a problem before it becomes a serious situation. It is not easy to save money for the unexpected. But saving some is also a good idea so when a trip to the veterinarian is needed, you won’t struggle financially.
They also offer low-cost veterinary referrals. However, this should not be taken as an endorsement. The organization does not endorse, recommend, or promote any particular veterinarian. As the animal’s guardian, you are responsible for making the final decision to retain the services and agree with the veterinarian they refer you to.
Its also worth taking a look at Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation – Veterinary Assistance and The Sam Simon Foundation – Free Surgery Clinic.